How to Use MSP Email Marketing to Grow Business
In an ever-competitive landscape, Managed Service Providers (MSPs) can no longer rely on good services alone. They need comprehensive marketing strategies to reach their target audience and keep them engaged, turning every interaction into business. This is where MSP email marketing comes in.
One of our previous posts listed out all the marketing strategies for MSP businesses. But in this post, we’re going to deep dive into how MSPs can use email marketing to grow their business.
Recap: What is MSP Email Marketing, and Why is it Important?
Email marketing is the strategic process of sending targeted messages via email to a specific group of people, aiming to promote a business, product, or service. It's not just about sending messages; it's about fostering meaningful relationships with potential and existing customers, leading them through a journey of awareness, interest, and action - your MSP sales funnel.
Importance of Email Marketing For MSPs
While there are thousands of sites and directories you can list your MSP business on for leads, here’s why we recommend making the most of email marketing:
- Stellar ROI: For every $1 spent on email marketing, the average return is a whopping $42.
- Ubiquity: Over 4 billion people across the globe use email, making it one of the most expansive platforms for communication.
- Open Rates: The average open rate for business emails is 21.33%, signaling a substantial potential audience with every send.
- Mobile Prowess: 63% of email opens occur on mobile, underlining the importance of mobile-optimized email designs.
- Consumer Preference: 59% of respondents say marketing emails influence their purchase decisions.
- Trust in Email: 73% of millennials, a large segment of today's workforce, prefer communications from businesses to come via email.
These statistics not only underscore the potential reach of email marketing but also highlight its effectiveness in driving business results. And the best part is, that you can combine the power of MSP email marketing with the other tactics you’re making use of to get your business noticed.
MSP Email Marketing: How Can MSPs Get Started With Email Marketing?
MSPs are in a unique position to harness the power of email marketing. With the right strategies, they can nurture relationships, establish trust, and drive growth through one-on-one communication. Here’s how we recommend approaching MSP email marketing:
1. Build a rock-solid email list
At the heart of any successful email marketing campaign lies a well-curated and relevant email list. Imagine spending time crafting a great email and then realizing you either have very few people to send it to or you're sending it to the wrong folks. That's wasted effort.
How to Build a Strong Email List?
a) Pop-Up Forms on Your Website
A pop-up form might sound a tad annoying, but its efficacy is undeniable. Mailchimp users experienced a staggering 50.8% increase in their list growth rate post integrating a pop-up form on their site.
Why? Because a well-timed pop-up form can capture visitors' attention and motivate them to sign up, especially if there's a tempting offer involved.
Here are some offers to consider for MSP Marketing:
- Cybersecurity risk assessment
- IT infrastructure rating
- Informative eBooks - be it on Cloud Migration, Cybersecurity trends, and so forth
- Managed IT Services Buyer’s Guide, templates, or a Comprehensive Checklist
By hosting these offers on your website, you not only offer value but also entice visitors to become a part of your mailing list.
b) Deploy Diverse Tools
Your website isn't the only place where you can grow your email list. Employ various tools and platforms like webinars, quizzes, contests, and, most significantly, Facebook or display ads. Facebook ads have the remarkable capability to target not just individuals with specific interests but also audiences similar to your existing contact list. Such precision targeting, as highlighted by Mailchimp, can amplify ROI by 29%.
2. Set the Right Metrics and KPIs
For an email marketing campaign to succeed, just sending emails is not enough; it's also important to understand their impact. This is where metrics and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) step in, providing a blueprint to assess the effectiveness of your MSP lead generation efforts.
Conduct A/B testing on your email campaigns. By treating your email campaign as an experiment, you can test variations of your content to see which version performs better. For instance, you might test two different call-to-action (CTA) buttons or alternate subject lines to determine which one resonates more with your audience. Such tests can also extend to various elements like sending times or design formats.
Essential KPIs for MSP Email Marketing
Consider tracking the following KPIs for your MSP email marketing campaign:
- Deliverability: This KPI shows how many of your emails successfully reach the recipient's inbox. High deliverability means your emails aren't getting lost in spam or junk folders.
- Open Rate: The percentage indicating how often your emails are opened. It's a primary metric as it reflects the first level of engagement. Effective subject lines and relevant content are crucial to boost this rate.
- Clickthrough Rate (CTR): Once your email is opened, the CTR measures how many recipients clicked on the links or CTAs present in the email. A good CTR is indicative of compelling content.
- Unsubscribes: A crucial metric that signals the number of recipients opting out of your emails. A high rate might indicate the need to reassess content relevance or frequency.
- Bounce Rates: Monitor how many emails are returned without being successfully delivered. A high bounce rate can signal issues like incorrect email addresses or potential blacklisting concerns.
- Total Reply Rate & Positive Reply Rate: These KPIs gauge the recipient's direct engagement with your email, providing insights into the effectiveness of your communication.
- Cost per Lead (CPL) and Marketing Cost to Acquire Client (MCAC): These financial metrics help assess the monetary effectiveness of your email campaigns in terms of lead generation and client acquisition.
3. Craft Email Copy That Drives Sales
The magic of email marketing lies in its intimacy. It's a direct line into someone's personal space, their inbox. So, when you're drafting your email copy, remember that it's not just a transactional message—it's a conversation.
Crafting effective email copy for MSPs isn't about using fancy words or convoluted messages. It's about understanding the customer's needs, addressing them head-on, and offering tangible solutions in a concise and engaging manner. When these elements come together seamlessly, your email becomes more than just a message—it becomes a compelling offer they can't refuse.
Dropbox's email campaign serves as an excellent example and can be taken inspiration from when highlighting your MSP’s services. Here’s why it stands out:
- Conversational Tone: The language is straightforward and relatable, avoiding unnecessary jargon that might alienate the reader.
- Visual Appeal: Engaging images not only breaks the monotony of text but also reinforces the message you're trying to convey.
- Direct and Concise: No one has the time or the inclination to sift through lengthy emails. The message should be clear and to the point, valuing the recipient's time.
- Clear Call to Action (CTA): An easily identifiable CTA guides the reader on the next steps, making the desired action apparent.
- Before and after: Without using too many words, the business is able to convey its value or impact with the help of a smart visual.
When marketing for MSPs, you're offering solutions to problems that are costing businesses money and causing undue stress. Your email should not only highlight these issues but present your services as the remedy.
4. Automate follow-ups and integrate value-added content
For MSPs, it’s important not just to build that initial connection but also nurture and build upon it. Let’s delve into the two-pronged approach of automated follow-ups and infusing value-added content to elevate your email marketing game.
The Power of Automated Follow-ups
Here’s how automated follow-ups can elevate your email marketing game:
- Consistency is Key: While an initial email is essential, consistency ensures that you stay top of mind. By scheduling automated follow-ups, you're not just reiterating your value proposition but also showcasing your commitment to their needs.
- Enhancing Engagement: A series of emails allows you to build a narrative, guiding the recipient from awareness to action. It also provides multiple touchpoints, increasing the likelihood of interaction and response.
- Saving Time, Increasing Efficiency: Automation takes the heavy lifting out of manual follow-ups. By setting a sequence, you can ensure timely communication without constant oversight.
Integrating Value-added Content
Including value-added content ensures that each interaction offers relevance and genuine value. Here’s how you can leverage it:
- Educate with Relevance: Not every follow-up should be a sales pitch. Some emails can offer insights, tips, or recent industry trends. Sharing an eBook on cybersecurity or a case study showcasing how you resolved a challenging IT issue can position you as a knowledgeable leader in the field.
- Testimonials and Social Proof: Leverage positive feedback from your satisfied customers. Sharing testimonials or success stories can bolster your credibility, providing potential clients with tangible proof of your expertise.
- Anticipate Their Needs: Tailoring your content to address common concerns or queries shows that you understand their pain points. It also preempts any reservations they might have, offering solutions even before they've voiced their doubts.
An initial email is just the start. With tools like Zomentum, you can automate your sales follow-up sequence to ensure no lead falls through the cracks. But don't just send reminders; include value in each interaction. Case studies showcase success, testimonials build trust, and educational content reinforces your expertise.
5. Enable In-Email Accessibility to your Proposals
Proposals are more than just documents; they're promises, commitments, and representations of your MSP's capabilities. By offering them in email, not only are you showcasing efficiency and respect for the client's time, but you're also subtly reinforcing your brand's ethos of simplicity and directness.
Why In-Email Proposals Are a Game-Changer
- Immediate Engagement: Offering proposals instantly within emails satisfies clients' anticipation without delays or redirections.
- Seamless User Experience: Keeping proposals within the email protects against technical glitches or compatibility issues from external links, enhancing client perceptions.
- Higher Conversion Rates: In-email proposals streamline decision-making, placing acceptance just a click away for the recipient.
Tips to Perfect the In-Email Proposal
- Be Concise: While it's tempting to list out every detail, remember that simplicity often wins. Highlight the primary benefits, costs, and the unique value you bring.
- Visual Appeal: Aesthetically pleasing designs can make your proposal more readable and engaging. Use consistent branding, clean layouts, and intuitive graphics.
- Clear CTAs: Ensure that the steps to accept the proposal are straightforward. A simple 'Accept' button that allows for digital signatures or agreements can simplify the process immensely.
- Optimize for All Devices: With many users accessing emails on mobile, ensure your proposal layout is responsive and looks pristine, regardless of the screen size.
6. Ensure transparent communication & regular updates
The significance of keeping your clients in the loop cannot be overstated, as it directly influences trust, satisfaction, and brand loyalty. By proactively sharing updates, whether it's about the initial steps of a project or an ongoing service report, you keep the client engaged and valued.
Strategies for Effective Client Communication
- Onboarding Updates: For new clients, it’s vital to provide an overview of the processes, set clear expectations, and regularly inform them about the milestones achieved. This not only helps in setting the right tone but also fosters a sense of collaboration right from the start.
- Periodic Reporting: For ongoing projects with existing clients, consider sending weekly or monthly performance reports. This could include analytics, achieved targets, and insights, allowing clients to gauge the project's success.
- Personalized Touch: While automated reports have their merits, occasionally sending personalized messages or calling to discuss progress can significantly enhance the client relationship. It shows you genuinely care about their success.
- Value-centric Updates: Instead of just sharing what’s been done, emphasize how these actions align with the client's goals and the benefits they bring. For instance, instead of just stating that a software update was done, explain how this update enhances security or optimizes performance.
Ready to Amplify Your Email Marketing Impact?
There's a vast world of potential waiting for MSPs in the realm of email marketing.
As with any strategy, it's crucial to measure, analyze, and tweak your approach based on the responses and conversions you're getting. This is where the importance of having all your audience data in one place comes into play - from leads to prospects and customers, it’s important to have complete visibility on interactions across all the stages of the funnel.
That's where Zomentum shines. From seamlessly integrating proposals to ensuring timely follow-ups, it's the all-in-one platform that MSPs need to make the most out of their email marketing strategies. So, while email remains a tried-and-true method, ensure you're leveraging it with the right tools to truly see it work wonders for your business.